Embedded Design Engineer
Job Title: Sales Engineer
Reports To: Director Sales & Marketing
FLSA status: Exempt
Marlin Technologies, Inc. Company Overview
Marlin Technologies is a privately held, non-union manufacturing company with 60+ employees, located in a state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Horicon Wisconsin. Our newest location in Menomonee Falls Wisconsin houses our Development and Innovation Center. The Sales Engineer could work from either location. Marlin is focused on the design and manufacturing of electronic controls for mobile equipment for industries such as agriculture, off-road construction, railroad, turf care, military, emergency vehicles, and marine/watercraft, that allow performance reliably in harsh environments.
Summary of Position
The primary role of the Sales Engineer is to grow Marlin’s business in the industrial markets, including primary management of our OEM accounts as well as coordination with our manufacturer’s reps for those markets. This person will provide solutions to customers, and reach sales and profitability goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Sales Development – Make sales contacts via phone, remote meetings, and travel to new and existing customers to prospect, qualify and present Marlin products and services. Assist the Marketing and Sales departments with identifying product and market opportunities. Participate in obtaining and building sales forecast data and tracking progress on active quotes and orders. Travel as required (up to 50% but usually less) to develop sales opportunities.
- Territory – Account responsibilities are not assigned to a specific geography, but rather are account dependent. Most Marlin accounts are east of the Rocky Mountains, with some opportunities to support growing European business.
- Rep Coordination – Align with Manufacturers’ Representatives to develop sales opportunities, and function as Marlin’s ‘factory rep’ while coordinating sales activities with those reps. Build strong relationships with the reps and the end customers.
- Application Development – Work with customers to develop electronic solutions for their applications. Review all requirements including technical specifications, regulatory requirements, project timing and customer’s expectations. Work with Marlin Engineering to identify practical, cost-effective solutions.
- Quoting/Estimating – Prepare quotations for customers in a timely manner. Identify materials required, obtain component pricing and tooling charges, determine engineering and manufacturing labor hours, and prepare cost and price estimates for quoted product. Prepare proposal drawings and written quotations for presentation to customers.
- Project Supervision – Oversee the design and build of new products, acting as a customer advocate to help ensure their expectations are met. Initiate project review kick-off meeting at the start of new projects. Assist the project engineer with customer communication. Assist Production department with obtaining and entering sales order information.
- Supplier Relationships – Work with vendors to obtain information about purchased part specifications, operation, availability and pricing.
- Marlin Standards and Procedures – Assist in the planning, implementation and maintenance of Marketing and Applications department procedures, databases, and software tools. Adhere to established procedures.
- Trade and Industry Knowledge – Keep abreast and well informed of new developments in the markets that Marlin serves, as well as other industries where sales opportunities and growth may exist, through involvement with customers, vendors, educational institutions, professional societies, trade shows, seminars, and perusal of publications.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, qualify, and close key prospect accounts in a business to business environment.
- Experience with a sales process and use of a Customer Relationship Management system.
- Reasonable understanding of analog and digital circuits and software preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of personal computer application software.
- Reasonable knowledge of the manufacturing process of printed circuit boards and assemblies.
- Ability to make sales calls on new and existing accounts, located in various states and outside the USA. A valid driver’s license and insurance is necessary.
- Minimum two years’ experience in technical sales, preferably of electronic controls and systems. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from four-year College or university preferred; or minimum two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent. Education and experience in the electronics industry is preferred.
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to explain complex technical issues to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Computer Skills: Knowledge of Word Processing software; Spreadsheet software; Design/Graphics software; and Database software. Web page content preparation experience is preferred. Comfortable setting up audiovisual and/or telecommunications equipment. Prefer experience with CRM systems and sales/marketing automation.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision and Ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee commonly works in an office environment where the noise level is usually quiet, and may occasionally be on the production floor where the noise level is moderate. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally perform work/job related travel.