Embedded Design Engineer
Job Title: Embedded Design Engineer, directly reporting to the Director of Engineering
FLSA status: Exempt
Location: Menomonee Falls or Horicon, Wisconsin
Company Overview: “Who Are We…?”:
Marlin Technologies is a privately held, non-union manufacturing company with approximately 60 employees, located in a state-of-the-art facility in Horicon Wisconsin. We also have our Innovation Center located in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin which is home to many of our Engineering and Sales team members. Marlin is focused on the design and manufacturing of mobile equipment for industries such as agriculture, off-road construction, railroad, turf care, military, emergency vehicles, and marine/watercraft, that allow performance reliably in harsh environments.
Position Description – ‘What Is The Job…’:
Embedded Design Engineer is a full-time role (remote work may be considered once proficient knowledge is acquired).
The Embedded Design Engineer is responsible for developing, integrating, and supporting hardware and embedded firmware for new product development and sustaining engineering projects. Work with Customers, Sales, Applications and Engineering personnel to clarify project specifications and requirements. Ability to work at a company focused on providing unique and practical solutions to customers’ electronic control requirements.
0-3 years; this is an entry level position
Qualifications – ‘You Should Have…’:
- Must hold a degree in BSEE, Computer Science, or similar.
- Must have a proficient knowledge of common electronic circuits.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and professionally in person or by other electronic means.
- Must possess strong time management skills.
- Must be committed to continual growth and improvement.
- Must be self-driven
- Preferred: a knowledge of common manufacturing processes, as related to component insertion (placement) on printed circuit boards (PCBs), electronic assemblies and subassemblies and electro-mechanical assemblies and subassemblies
- All Marlin Technologies employees must be US Citizens, by customer contract requirements.
Responsibilities – ‘You Will Be Doing…’:
- General and specialized circuit and system design
- Analysis of general and specialized components, circuits, signals, and systems
- Circuit simulation using SPICE modeling
- Schematic capture and PCB layout using Altium Designer
- Hardware and system development and integration
- Hardware troubleshooting and analysis using common electronic test equipment such as digital multimeters, oscilloscopes, and function generators
- Embedded firmware development, primarily in embedded C/C++ programming languages
- Embedded firmware debugging and analysis using ICE, JTAG debuggers, and data monitors
- Calculate voltage, current and power requirements for components, circuits, and systems
- Use both basic and complex math to solve problems
- Work closely with other engineering disciplines (mechanical, manufacturing, documentation, software) for the purpose of new and sustaining product development, troubleshooting, and manufacturing
- Work closely with engineers to select components, parts, and materials
- Participate in frequent group discussions related to technology and product development
- Participate in both peer and management-led design reviews
- Present design strategies and proposals to peers and management in both group and private settings
- Stay current on market related news, product use cases, and usage criteria as it pertains to new product development
- Stay current on the latest technical innovations as related to the electrical engineering discipline
- Perform advanced research, explore & prove out new technologies in the market, microprocessors & microcontrollers, and processes for inclusion in future projects
- Support pre-compliance testing for EMI/EMC compliance and certification of product at external certified labs
- Interface with diagnostics and communication systems (CAN/LIN) and Software tools (Kvaser/PCAN/CANalyzer)
Interpersonal – ‘Other Skills You Need…’
- Collaborative/Cooperative – Works well with other individuals across all functions to achieve common goals. Demonstrates support for others. Communicates well with others. Keeps supervisor informed of the status of all work tasks, issues and problems.
- Adaptable – Capable of adapting to others and to new situations; flexible; can handle multiple tasks. Can work independently and set priorities and workload.
Motivation – ‘Do You Have What It Takes…’
- Desire a Challenge – Welcomes challenges, enjoys solving complex problems, and regards obstacles as opportunities. Desires to learn continuously.
- Committed/Hard-working – Commits to doing whatever it takes to complete tasks and achieve stated goals.
- Takes charge in getting the information and resources to do the job. Is pro-active.
- Customer-oriented – Attentive and responsive to customer requests and concerns. Has a customer advocate mentality.
- Quality Commitment – Has a consistent attitude and respect for high quality standards.
- Goal-oriented – Set and achieve goals and quotas.
Full-Time Benefits Include:
- 401K with company match
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off
- Remote work options (after proficient knowledge has been acquired)
- Flex Time
- Health, Dental, Vision, Short term and Long-term disability, and life insurance
- Extensive Wellness Program with health insurance premium discounts and health club reimbursement available
- Continuing Education Assistance
- Various paid leave programs, including Parental leave.